Celtic to face sexual abuse class action

Judge gives green light for 22 former Celtic Boys Club players to launch claim



A judge has given the green light for 22 former Celtic Boys Club players to launch a multi-million pound class action against Celtic Football Club concerning sexual abuse allegations.


Lord Arthurson announced the ruling after being addressed by advocate Ian Mackay QC, who is representing the men allegedly abused while with Celtic Boys Club. During a virtual hearing of the Court of Session on Tuesday, Lord Arthurson said the legal criteria for allowing the action to proceed had been met, The Athletic reported.


Mackey argued the boys club and Celtic Football Club were “intimately connected”. Celtic FC had claimed that the two organisations were separate entities and that the action should not be allowed to proceed.


Thompson Solicitors partner Patrick McGuire, who is acting for the victims, described the ruling as a “watershed moment" and said Celtic Football Club must "immediately begin meaningful discussions”.